Topsham is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1600
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Protestant Dissenters, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Exeter St Leonard
- Woodbury with Exton
- Clyst St George
- Clyst St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TOPSHAM, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in St. Thomas district, Devon. The town stands on the river Exe, immediately above the influx of the Clist, and on the Exeter and Exmouth railway, 4 miles SSE of Exeter; was the only port of Exeter prior to the opening of the ship canal in 1544; had then a larger trade with Newfoundland than any other port of England; suffered an attack by the Earl of Warwick, on occasion of the siege of Exeter, in 1643; was the headquarters of Fairfax, prior to his removal to Ottery, in 1645; comprises one long street of irregular breadth, and several smaller streets; includes, in the S, a section called the Strand, consisting chiefly of genteel houses, and commanding very fine views; carries on ship-building, chain-making, rope-making, and a considerable coasting trade; and has a head post-office, a r. station with telegraph, two chief inns, a fine parish church, Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, charities £151, and a fair on the Thursday after 18 July. Pop. in 1861, 2,772. Houses, 539. The parish includes Countess-Weir chapelry, and comprises 1,570 acres of land and 170 of water. Real property, £11,085; of which £85 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 3,377; in 1861, 3,503. Houses, 682. The manor belonged anciently to the Crown, and afterwards was held, for a long period, by the Earls of Devon. Weir House is the seat of Sir J. T. B. Duckworth, Bart.; and there are numerous good residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £290. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of E. The p. curacy of Countess-Weir is a separate benefice. The sub-district contains five parishes. Acres, 6,207. Pop., 4,777. Houses, 945.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: St Thomas
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - None, Post-1847 - Aylesbeare
Poor Law Union: St Thomas