Tawstock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Chapelton, Eastacombe, Harracott, Hiscott, and Tawstock Holy Trinity.
Alternative names: Tawstock with Harracott
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1538. Separate registers exist for Tawstock Holy Trinity: 1842
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Plymouth Brethren, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Tawstock
- High Bickington
- Bishop's Tawton
- Newton Tracey
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Tawstock (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Fremington, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (S.) from Barnstaple; containing 1429 inhabitants. It comprises 5000 acres, including 400 common or waste land. The manor-house, which was garrisoned by Sir T. Fairfax, in Feb. 1646, was almost consumed by fire in 1787, but was rebuilt by the late Sir B. Wrey, Bart., except the ancient gateway, which still remains, bearing date 1574. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £69.12. 1., and in the patronage of Sir B. Wrey, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £930, and there are 93 acres of glebe. The Independents and Roman Catholics have places of worship.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Barnstaple
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Barnstaple
- Poor Law Union: Barnstaple
- Hundred: Fremington
- Province: Canterbury