Swimbridge is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Gunn and Cobbaton.
Alternative names: Swymbridge
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1603
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- West Buckland
- Bishop's Tawton
- Stoke Rivers
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SWIMBRIDGE, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Barnstaple district, Devon; 4½ miles ESE of Barnstaple r. station. It has a post-office under Barnstaple. Acres, 7,280. Real property, £8,074; of which £100 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,738; in 1861, 1,532. houses, 332. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of E. The church is later English, and has a tower and spire. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £132.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Barnstaple
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - None, Post-1847 - Barnstaple
Poor Law Union: Barnstaple
Hundred: South Molton