Stowford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Portgate and Porte Park Hill.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1707
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Bible Christian Methodist.
- Bratton Clovelly
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STOWFORD, a parish in Tavistock district, Devon; 2½ miles NNW of Coryton r. station, and 7 ENE of Launceston. Post town, Lewdown, North Devon. Acres, 2,065. Real property, £2,283. Pop., 471. Houses, 93. Stowford, Haine, and Stone manors belong to A. Harris, Esq.; and Milford manor, to H. Bradshaw, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £241. Patron, the Rev. J. B. Woolocombe. The church is good. Charities, £44.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Tavistock
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Tavistock
Poor Law Union: Tavistock