St. Nicholas

St. Nicholas, Devon Family History

St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.

Other places in the parish include: Ringmore and Shaldon.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1616

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to St. Nicholas

  • Bishopsteignton
  • West Teignmouth
  • Stokeinteignhead

Historical Descriptions

St. Nicholas

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Nicholas (St.), an island, near the mouth of Plymouth and Devon-port harbour. P. 1175

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Shaldon

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Shaldon, a village in St. Nicholas parish, Devon; under the Ness promontory, at the mouth of the river Teign, opposite Teignmouth. It is a sea-bathing resort, with a fine beach and romantic environs; and has a post-office under Teignmouth, three dissenting chapels, many handsome villas, and a large ship-building yard.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Devon
  • Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
  • Probate Court: Pre-1848 - Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter, Post-1847 - Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
  • Diocese: Exeter
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - Kenn, Post-1847 - Ipplepen
  • Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot
  • Hundred: Wonford
  • Province: Canterbury