South Tawton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Ash, Dishcomb, Fulford, Gooseford, Gooseford Week, Widden Down, Itton, Ramsley, South Zeal, Taw Green, Whiddon Down, and Gooseford Wick.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin: 1541
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to South Tawton
- Sampford Courtenay
- North Tawton
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Tawton, South (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of Wonford, Crockernwell and S. divisions of Devon, 3 ¼ miles (E. by S.) from Oakhampton; containing 1871 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £150 ; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. There is a national school.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Zeal (South), a village in South Tawton parish, Devon; 4 ¼ miles ESE of Okehampton. It was once a borough and a market-town; and it has a fine granite cross, a Wesleyan chapel, and an old school house supposed to have been a Roman Catholic chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Okehampton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Dunsford
- Poor Law Union: Okehampton
- Hundred: Wonford
- Province: Canterbury