Sandford is a chapelry of Crediton Ancient Parish in Devon.
Other places in the parish include: New Buildings, West Sandford, and East Sandford.
Alternative names: Sampford
Parish church: St. Swithin
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1603
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Independent/Congregational.
- Down St Mary
- Morchard Bishop
- Upton Hellions
- Stockleigh English
- Cheriton Fitzpaine
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SANDFORD (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union and hundred of Crediton, Crediton and N. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Crediton; containing 1998 inhabitants. It is bounded by the small river Creedy, and comprises 6605 acres, whereof 422 are common or waste land; the surface is varied. There are some quarries of stone of good quality for building. The village is situated on the road from Exeter to South Molton; a fair for bullocks and sheep is held in it on the Monday after St. Swithin’s day. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £205; the patronage and impropriation belong to the Governors of the Crediton Charity, whose tithes have been commuted for £1150. The church, formerly a chapel of ease to the church of Crediton, is a neat structure in the early English style, with a low square tower.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Crediton
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - None, Post-1847 - Kenn
- Poor Law Union: Crediton
- Hundred: Crediton
- Province: Canterbury