Salcombe is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Devon, created in 1844 from chapelry in Malborough chapelry.
Alternative names: Malborough Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1802
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Plymouth Brethren and Wesleyan Methodist.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SALCOMBE, a chapelry, in the parish of Malborough, union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Stanborough, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (S.) from Kingsbridge; containing 972 inhabitants. This place, which, from the mild temperature of its climate, has been termed the Montpelier of England, is much visited for the beauty of its scenery, and as a resort for consumptive patients. The village is pleasantly situated on the western side of the entrance to Kingsbridge harbour; the houses in general are well built, and the neighbourhood contains several handsome villas and marine residences. There are 50 vessels belonging to the place, of which 30 are schooners of the first class, employed principally in the fruit and coasting trades. Ship-building is carried on to some extent. A peculiar kind of beer called white ale is brewed here. The chapel, originally erected prior to the year 1401, was rebuilt in 1801, by subscription, and is now a district church: the living is in the gift of the Vicar of West Alvington. There are also places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. Some remains of an ancient castle may be traced.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Kingsbridge
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - None, Post 1847 - Woodleigh
- Poor Law Union: Kingsbridge
- Hundred: Stanborough
- Province: Canterbury