Roborough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Ebberly.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1549
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist
- St Giles in the Wood
- High Bickington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Torrington district, Devon. The village stands 4 miles WSW of Portsmouth-Arms r. station, and 5½ ESE of Great Torrington; was anciently called Rougaburga; and took that name from beorghs or burying-places in its neighbour-hood. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ebberly; and its post town is Torrington, North Devon. Acres, 3,114. Real property, £2,426. Pop., 478. Houses, 86. The property is divided among a few. The manor of R. belonged, at the Norman conquest, to the Russells; and, with Ebberly House, belongs now to Hole, Esq. The manor of Coombe belonged recently to J. Vivian, Esq.; and belongs now to the Hon. Mark Rolle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £193. Patron, the Rev. T. May. The church is ancient. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Torrington
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Torrington
Poor Law Union: Torrington