Plymstock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Pomphlett, Turnchapel, Elburton, Hooe, Oreston, and Staddiscombe.
Parish church: St. Mary and All Saints
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1591
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Calvinist, Independent/Congregational, Protestant Dissenters, and Wesleyan Methodist.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PLYMSTOCK (St. Mary and All Saints), a parish, in the union of Plympton St. Mary, hundred of Plympton, Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of the county of Devon, 2 miles (S. E.) from Plymouth; containing 2966 inhabitants. This was an important post during the war between Charles and his parliament. The parish is situated on the river Plym, and intersected by the Totnes and Exeter road; and comprises 3208a. 2r. 13p., of which 121 acres are woodland, and twothirds of the remainder arable, and one-third pasture: the surface is remarkably hilly, and the views from the elevated grounds are beautiful and extensive; the soil is generally a light loam resting on limestone. At Oreston, in the parish, is the great marble-quarry from which the material was obtained for the construction of the Plymouth Breakwater. There are wet-docks at Turnchapel, belonging to the Earl of Morley, sufficiently capacious for the reception of frigates; and a yard adjoining, in which 74-gun ships have been built. The living is a perpetual curacy; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is a plain building, lately repewed. At Hoe was formerly a chapel dedicated to St. Catherine. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a free school endowed in 1790, with £2000 three per cents., by the Rev. Vincent Warren. An almshouse was founded in 1660, by Sir Christopher Harris. Radford, in the parish, the seat of the Harris family, is said to have been the residence of Sir Walter Raleigh, after his arrival at Plymouth, in 1618: Stoddescombe was the birthplace of Dr. Forster, a learned divine.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Plympton St Mary
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Plympton
- Poor Law Union: Plympton St Mary
- Hundred: Plympton
- Province: Canterbury