Offwell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Wilmington.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1551
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1616
Nonconformists include: Baptist
- Stockland with Dalwood
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OFFWELL, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands 2¼ miles ESE of Honiton r.station. The parish contains also part of the village of Wilmington, which has a post-office under Honiton. Acres, 2,206. Real property, £2,435. Pop., 393. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. Offwell House belonged to Bishop Copleston, and is now the residence of his representatives. An ornamental tower was built by him, in 1843, on Honiton hill; and commands extensive views. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £400. Patrons, the Trustees of Bishop Copleston. The church is of the 13th century; consists of nave, Naisle, and chancel, with W tower; has a fine memorial three-light E window; and contains some monuments. There are a parochial school, and charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Honiton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Honiton
Poor Law Union: Honiton