North Tawton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Broad Nymet, Broadnymet, Rymel Broad, and Week.
Alternative names: Chaping Tawton
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Plymouth Brethren, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
Parishes adjacent to North Tawton
- South Tawton with South Zeal
- Sampford Courtenay
- Zeal Monachorum
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Tawton, North (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of North Tawton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 12 miles (W. by N.) from Crediton; containing 1728 inhabitants. This place was anciently called Cheping-Tawton, “a market-town on the Taw,” which river runs through the parish. Its market charter was confirmed in the year 1270, but the market was discontinued about 1720 ; at the former period it was a borough-town, and it is still governed by a portreeve, elected annually at the manorial court. The parish comprises 3551 acres of fertile land, and 1088 of common or waste ; the soil is a red gravelly earth ; the surface is undulated, and ornamented by several well-watered meadows. Ashbridge, one of the most ancient demesnes in the county, comprises nearly 100 acres of woodland, containing a vast quantity of fine oak-trees. A quarry of good freestone is worked : here was once an extensive woollen manufacture, and there is still a mill employing 200 persons in spinning yarn, woven at Crediton and other places. Cattle-fairs are held on the third Tuesday in April, October 3rd, and December 18th. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £32. 4.7.; net income, £751; patron and incumbent, the Rev. George Hole : there is a parsonage, with a glebe of 98 acres of good land. The Independents have a meeting-house. Chapels formerly existed at Crook-Burnell, Nichols-Nymet, and Bath-Barton, in the parish; of which places, the last is the birthplace of Henry de Bathe, who was in 1238 made one of the justices of the common pleas, and in 1240 one of the justices itinerant for many of the counties, Henry Tozer, expelled from Exeter College for his loyalty, in 1648, and who was author of Directions for a Devotional Life, which passed through ten editions, was also a native of the parish. In the neighbourhood, a small brook sometimes issues out of a large pit ten feet deep, called Bathe Pool, and continues running for several days together.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Okehampton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Chumleigh
- Poor Law Union: Okehampton
- Hundred: North Tawton with Winkleigh
- Province: Canterbury