Musbury

Musbury, Devon Family History

Musbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.

Other places in the parish include: Maidenhayne.

Alternative names: Muchbery

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1622

Nonconformists include: Presbyterian

Parishes adjacent to Musbury

  • Shute
  • Colyton
  • Axminster
  • Axmouth
  • Uplyme

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

MUSBURY, a village and a parish in Axminster district, Devon. The village stands near the river Axe, 3 miles SW by S of Axminster r. station, 3 NNE of the mouth of the Axe, and 4 W of the boundary with Dorset; was anciently called Muchbery; and has a post-office under Axminster, and a fair on the Monday after Michaelmas. The parish contains also the hamlet of Maidenhayne. Acres, 2,178. Real property, £3,866. Pop., 493. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. J. V. Payne. Ashe belonged to the Drakes; was the birthplace of John Churchill, the great Duke of Marlborough; and is now a farm-house. An ancient British camp, double-ditched, and occupying 20 acres, is here, and is in good preservation. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £365. Patron, the Rev. J. V. Payne. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Drakes, and a monument of Judge Grundy.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Devon
  • Civil Registration District: Axminster
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
  • Diocese: Exeter
  • Rural Deanery: Honiton
  • Poor Law Union: Axminster
  • Hundred: Axminster
  • Province: Canterbury