Musbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Maidenhayne.
Alternative names: Muchbery
Parish registers begin: 1622
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian
Parishes adjacent to Musbury
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
MUSBURY, a village and a parish in Axminster district, Devon. The village stands near the river Axe, 3 miles SW by S of Axminster r. station, 3 NNE of the mouth of the Axe, and 4 W of the boundary with Dorset; was anciently called Muchbery; and has a post-office under Axminster, and a fair on the Monday after Michaelmas. The parish contains also the hamlet of Maidenhayne. Acres, 2,178. Real property, £3,866. Pop., 493. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. J. V. Payne. Ashe belonged to the Drakes; was the birthplace of John Churchill, the great Duke of Marlborough; and is now a farm-house. An ancient British camp, double-ditched, and occupying 20 acres, is here, and is in good preservation. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £365. Patron, the Rev. J. V. Payne. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Drakes, and a monument of Judge Grundy.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Axminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Honiton
- Poor Law Union: Axminster
- Hundred: Axminster
- Province: Canterbury