Marystowe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon. Thrushelton is a chapelry of Marystowe.
Alternative names: Marystow, Marystowe with Thrushelton, Stow St Mary
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1651
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
MARY-STOW (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Tavistock, hundred of Lifton, Lifton and S. divisions of Devon, 8 miles (E. by S.) from Launceston; containing 574 inhabitants. It comprises about 2500 acres, of which 300 are wood, 440 common or waste, and the remainder chiefly arable; the whole surface is hilly, and the valleys deep. The river Lyd passes through the parish, and it is also intersected by the road from Exeter to Falmouth. On the manor of Sydenham is a mansion erected early in the seventeenth century, by Sir Thomas Wise, and garrisoned by the adherents of Charles I., from whom it was taken by Col. Holbourn, in 1645. There are two mines, from which manganese is procured; and a large limestone-quarry. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, with the living of Thrushelton annexed, and valued in the king’s books at £12. 16. 0½.; net income, £276; patron, and impropriator of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, J. Hearle Tremayne, Esq. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £87, and the vicarial for £148; the glebe comprises 110 acres. The church has evidences in its porch of Norman origin, and a fine Norman arch still remains; it contains an ancient font and two stone stalls, also a curious monument to Sir Thomas Wise.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Tavistock
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Tavistock
- Poor Law Union: Tavistock
- Hundred: Lifton
- Province: Canterbury