Littlehempston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Lilliesford.
Alternative names: Hempston Arundel, Hempston Parva, Little Hempston
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
HEMPSTON, LITTLE (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Haytor, Paignton and S. divisions of Devon, 1¾ mile (N. by E.) from Totnes; containing 268 inhabitants. This parish, which is on the road from Exeter to Plymouth, and partly bounded by the river Dart, comprises 1235a. 1r.: limestone is quarried for repairing the roads and for burning into lime. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £19. 15. 2½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and the glebe comprises 60 acres. The church, a wellbuilt structure with a square embattled tower, contains monuments with recumbent effigies of Knights Templars, some screen-work, and painted glass. The old glebehouse, supposed to have been erected in the reign of Richard II., is still preserved as a farmhouse, though a new residence has been erected for the incumbent, in a handsome style. There are benefactions amounting to £30 per annum for the poor. The Rev. Stephen Weston, eminent for his attainments in oriental literature, was rector of the parish for many years.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Totnes
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - Ipplepen, Post-1848 - Totnes
- Poor Law Union: Totnes
- Hundred: Haytor
- Province: Canterbury