Lifton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Lifton Down, Tinney, Tinhay, Lower Cookworthy, Liftondown, West Week, Higher Cookworthy, Dippertown, Crosstown, Cholwill, and Beara.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1603
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Christians, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- St Stephens by Launceston, Cornwall
- Lawhitton, Cornwall
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
LIFTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Tavistock, hundred of Lifton, Lifton and S. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Launceston; containing 1784 inhabitants. The manor and lordship were, by grant of Edward VI., vested in the ancestors of W. A. H. Arundell, Esq., the present proprietor. The parish is watered by the rivers Tamar, Cary, and Lyd, the last of which flows into the Tamar a little below Lifton park; the surrounding scenery is agreeably diversified. Mines of manganese are worked. Fairs are held on the 14th of February, the first Thursday in June, and October 28th. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £31. 2. 11.; net income, £423; patron, Mr. Arundell. The church was embellished with a new altar-piece and with the royal arms, in 1831, by the patron, at an expense of £200; it contains some rich monuments.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Tavistock
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Tavistock
- Poor Law Union: Tavistock
- Hundred: Lifton
- Province: Canterbury