Kingskerswell is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Devon, created in 1829 from chapelry in St Marychurch Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Kings Carswell
Other places in the parish include: South Whilborough and North Whilborough.
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1752
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Presbyterian, Bible Christians and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Kingskerswell
- St Marychurch
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KINGSKERS WELL, or KINGS-CARSWELL, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands adjacent to the Torquay railway, 3 miles SSE of Newton-Abbot; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Newton-Abbot. The parish contains also the hamlets of North Whilborough and South Whilborough-Acres, 1,744. Real property, £4,455. Pop., 903. Houses, 192. The manor belonged at Domesday to the Crown; passed to the families of De Molis, Courtenay, and Dynham; and, with Barton Hall, belongs now to H. L. Brown, Esq. Remains of an old mansion are near the church; and some Roman coins have been found on the neighbouring Down. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £110. Patron, the Vicar of St. Marychurch. The church is later English, with portions decorated; was recently repaired; has a tower; and contains three fine monuments to the Courtenays and the Dynhams. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Bible Christians, a national school, and charities £19.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Kings Kerswell 1752-1837 - UK Genealogy Archives
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Post-1847 - Ipplepen, Pre-1848 - None
- Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot
- Hundred: Haytor
- Province: Canterbury