Inwardleigh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Waytown and Folly Gate.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1699
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
INWARDLEIGH, a village and a parish in Okehampton district, Devon. The village stands on a beadstream of the river Torridge, 3½ miles NNW of Okehampton r. station; was formerly called Ingerley; and is a scattered place. The parish comprises 6,281 acres. Post town, Hatherleigh, North Devon. Real property, £2,831. Pop., 635. Houses, 125. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged, till the time of Edward III., to the Coffin family; and belongs now to Lord Portman. A handsome mansion and a deer park of the Coffins were once here, but have disappeared. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £277. Patrons, Trustees. The Church is ancient; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; and has a tower, which was shattered by lightning about 1817. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Bible Christians, a free school, and charities £4 4s.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Okehampton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Okehampton
Poor Law Union: Okehampton
Hundred: Black Torrington