Instow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Worlington.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1717
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
INSTOW, a village and a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon. The village stands adjacent to the Bideford Extension railway, at the confluence of the rivers Taw and Torridge, opposite Appledore, 3½ miles NNE of Bideford; is a pretty watering place, rising into popular favour; commands a view, over Barnstaple bar, to Lundy Island; and has a quay, a railway station, and a post office, designated Instow, North Devon. The parish comprises 1,631 acres of land, and 285 of water. Real property, £2,449; Pop., 614. Houses, 119. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £150. Patron, Mrs. Cleveland. The church is later English, in good condition; and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Barnstaple
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Barnstaple
Poor Law Union: Barnstaple