Ilsington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Haytor Vale, Sigford, Liverton, Leverton, South Knighton, Harford, Cold East, and Bagtor Vale.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1614
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- East Ogwell
- Bovey Tracey
- Widecombe in the Moor
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ILSINGTON, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands under Haytor mountain, 7 miles NW of Newton-Abbot r. station; and adjoins the quondam Silverbrook lead and zinc mine. The parish contains also the hamlets of Cold East, Harford, Haytor-Vale, Bagtor-Vale, Liverton, Sigford, and South Knighton. Post town, Newton-Abbot. Acres, 7,563. Real property, £5,597; of which £30 are in mines. Pop., 1,209. Houses, 239. The property is much subdivided. One manor belongs to H. Monro, Esq., and another to the Duke of Somerset. A ruined old manor house, which was the seat of the Dinhams and the Arundells, is near the Church. Ingsdon is the seat of H. Monro, Esq.; and Bagtor House is the seat of Lord Cranstone. The Haytor granite works are within the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £313. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains a very large and handsome carved screen. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £21 a year, and other charities £77.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Moreton
Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot