Hockworthy is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1577
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOCKWORTHY, a parish, with a scattered village, in Tiverton district, Devon; adjacent to Somerset, 3 miles NW of Tiverton-Junction r. station, and 8 NE of Tiverton. Post town, Wellington, Somerset. Acres, 2,526. Real property, £2,961. Pop., 375. Houses, 59. The rectorial tithes and Hockford farm belonged formerly to Canonsleigh abbey. Hockworthy Court is the seat ofTroyte, Esq. Limestone and building stone abound. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £271. Patron, the Rev. W. Newman. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1865, and is in the early English style; and the tower had been rebuilt in 1848. The parsonage is a recent edifice, in the Tudor style.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Tiverton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Tiverton
- Poor Law Union: Tiverton
- Hundred: Bampton (Devon)
- Province: Canterbury