High Bickington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Highbickington
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1707
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Christians.
- St Giles in the Wood
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BICKINGTON (High), a parish and a subdistrict in Torrington district, Devon. The parish lies on the river Taw, and on the North Devon railway, 2 miles NW of the Portsmouth Arms r. station, and 7 ½ E of Torrington. Post Town, Atherington, under Barnstaple. Acres, 4,194. Real property, £3,384. Pop., 738. Houses, 150. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to A. D. Bassett, Esq. A weekly market was held for some time prior to 1725. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £475. Patron, the Rev. S. Palmer. The church is an ancient edifice of nave, chancel, north aisle, and south transept. There are chapels for Baptists and Bible Christians, and charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Torrington
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Barnstaple
- Poor Law Union: Torrington
- Hundred: North Tawton with Winkleigh
- Province: Canterbury