Hartland is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Cheristow, Edistone, Elmscott, Hartland Quay, Harton, Meddon, Milford, Pilham, Rimscott, South Hole, and Stoke.
Parish registers begin: 1559
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Hartland
- Woolfardisworthy West
The National Gazetteer 1868
ABBEY, near Hartland, in the par. and hund. of Hartland, in the co. of Devon, 46 miles W.N.W. of Exeter. The seat of Mrs. Orchard, a mansion built on the site of the abbey founded by Githa, wife of Earl Godwin, in the 11th century, and rebuilt by Geofrey Dinant in 1184: it passed at the Reformation to Serjeant Abbot.
Source: The National Gazetteer: a Topographical Dictionary of the British Islands compiled from the latest and best sources and illustrated with a complete county atlas and numerous maps. Vol. 1. Virtue & Co. London. 1868.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Cheristow, a hamlet in Hartland parish, Devon.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Bideford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Hartland
- Poor Law Union: Bideford
- Hundred: Hartland
- Province: Canterbury