Harpford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon. Venn Ottery is a chapelry of Harpford.
Other places in the parish include: Burrow, Wouthertown, and Bowood.
Alternative names: Happerford
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1638
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARPFORD, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands in the valley of the Otter, 3 miles NW of Sidmouth, and 5½ S of Ottery-Road r. station; and was formerly called Happerford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Bowood, Southertown, and Burrow; and its post-town is Sidmouth. Acres, 1,518. Real property, £2,168. Pop., 243. Houses, 54. The manor belongs to the trustees of Lord Rolle. Court House was the seat of the Dynbams, and is now a farm-house. Harpford Wood comprises about 400 acres. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Venn-Ottery, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £221. Patrons, Lord Colinton and others. The church is ancient, and consists of nave, chancel, N aisle, and S porch, with an embattled tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Honiton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Aylesbeare
- Poor Law Union: Honiton
- Hundred: East Budleigh
- Province: Canterbury