Harford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1724
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1613
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARFORD, a parish in Plympton-St. Mary district, Devon; on the river Erme, 2½ miles N of Ivy-Bridge r. station, and 5¾ N by W of Modbury. Post-town, Ivybridge. Acres, 2,050. Real property, £1,936. pop., 158. Houses, 25. The property is subdivided. The scenery along the Erme is romantic. Nearly one-fourth of the land is moor. There is a large paper factory; and the proprietor of it built a large mansion in the parish in 1865. Another mansion was recently built by W. Matthews, Esq. A Druidical circle, with a kistvaen in the centre, is on a hill near the church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £210. Patron, Lady Rogers. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, chancel, and S aisle, with a tower; and contains two fine brasses, one of them of Speaker Williams, who died in 1565. The church-yard contains an old granite monument resembling a cromlech. There is a chapel of ease, which was formerly an Independent chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
City of Plymouth marriage index : index of brides and grooms taken from the post 1837 Plymouth Church of England marriage registers held in the Plymouth & West Devon Record Office in partnership with the Devon Family History Society Author: Plymouth and West Devon Record Office; Devon Family History Society
Land and property
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Plympton St Mary
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Plympton
- Poor Law Union: Plympton St Mary
- Hundred: Ermington
- Province: Canterbury