HARBERTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Totnes district, Devon. The village stands between the rivers Harburn and Dart, 2 miles SW of Totnes r. station; and has a post-office designated Harberton, Devon. The parish contains also the hamlets of Harbertonford, Luscombe, Belsford, East Leigh, West Leigh, Little Englebourne, and Great Englebourne. Acres, 5,755. Real property, £9,156. Pop., 1,221. Houses, 270. The property is much divided. The manor belonged to the Valletorts, but was afterwards dismembered. There is a large edge tool manufactory. There was also a woollen factory; but a number of years ago it was converted into a corn mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, 535. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is later English, and one of the most interesting in Devon; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel; and contains a handsome carved oak screen, and a richly carved stone pulpit. The vicarage of Harbertonford is a separate benefice. There are two national schools, and charities £65.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Totnes
Poor Law Union: Totnes