Halwell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Washbourne.
Alternative names: Halwell near Totnes
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HALWELL, a village and a parish in Totnes district, Devon. The village stands 5½ miles SSW of Totnes town and r. station; and has a post office, designated Halwell, Devon. The parish includes also the hamlet of Washbourne. Acres, 3,666. Pop., 357. Houses, 73. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £168. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is ancient, but very good; and consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with square tower. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Totnes
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Totnes
- Poor Law Union: Totnes
- Hundred: Coleridge
- Province: Canterbury