Halberton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Halberton with Ash Thomas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1605
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1612
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HALBERTON, a township, a parish, and a hundred, n Devon. The township lies on the Western canal, near he Bristol and Exeter railway, 2 miles SW of Tiverton Junction r. station, and 3 E of Tiverton; and has a post office under Tiverton. The parish comprises 5,755 acres; and is in Tiverton district. Real property, £12,383; of which £750 are in the canal. Pop. in 1851, 1,745; in 1861, 1,663. Houses, 350. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Earl Powlett. Building stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in he diocese of Exeter. Value, £670. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is of the 14th century; was restored in 1848; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with western pinnacled tower; had formerly a chantry; and has still a massive carved screen, an ancient carved oak pulpit, and an interesting font. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, national schools, and charities £45. The hundred contains also two other parishes, and parts of two more. Acres, 8,744. Pop., 2,765. Houses, 605.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Tiverton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Tiverton
- Poor Law Union: Tiverton
- Hundred: Halberton
- Province: Canterbury