Gittisham Devon Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1559
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1614

Nonconformists include:

  • Presbyterian
  • Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • Feniton
  • Sidbury
  • Ottery St Mary
  • Awliscombe
  • Buckerell
  • Honiton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

GITTISHAM, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands near the river Otter, and near the Salisbury and Exeter railway, 2 miles SW by W of Honiton; and has a post office under Honiton. The parish comprises 2,067 acres. Real property, £2,928. Pop., 355. Houses, 74. The manor belonged once to the Jocelines; passed to the Lomens, the Willingtons, the Beaumonts, and the Putts; and belongs now, with most of the parish, to Richard Marke, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £475. Patron, the Rev. G. R. Harding. The church is of the 14th century; consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with western embattled tower; and contains a Norman font, and several fine monuments to the Beaumonts and the Putts. There are charities about £180, and a free school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Historical Newspapers

Western Morning News

Western Times

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette

North Devon Journal

Express and Echo

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Devon
Civil Registration District: Honiton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Diocese: Exeter
Rural Deanery: Honiton
Poor Law Union: Honiton
Hundred: East Budleigh
Province: Canterbury