Filleigh Devon Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Paul

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1685
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Adjacent Parishes

  • South Molton
  • Swimbridge
  • East Buckland
  • Chittlehampton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

FILLEIGH, a parish in South Molton district, Devon: near the river Bray, 3½ miles WNW of South Molton, and 6 E of Umberleigh r. station. Post town, South Molton, North Devon. Acres, 2,038. Real property, £2,092. Pop., 311. Houses, 70. Castle Hill is the seat of Earl Fortescue, and a very stately edifice; stands on a wooded eminence, crowned with an artificial structure in form of a ruined castle; and has fine gardens, shrubbery, and deer park. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of East Buckland, in the diocese of Exeter. The church was rebuilt in 1732; has an old tower: and contains many handsome monuments to the Fortescues. There is a suite of alms-houses, near a model farm.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Historical Newspapers

Western Morning News

Western Times

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette

North Devon Journal

Express and Echo

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Devon
Civil Registration District: South Molton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Diocese: Exeter
Rural Deanery: Barnstaple
Poor Law Union: South Molton
Hundred: Braunton
Province: Canterbury