Feniton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Fenny Bridges, Colestock, and Curscombe.
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1549
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Ottery St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FENITON, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands in the valley of the river Otter, near Ottery Road r. station, 3½ miles W by S of Honiton; and has a post office under Honiton. The parish includes also the hamlets of Curscombe and Colestock. Acres, 1,822. Real property, £3,322. Pop., 361. Houses, 71. The property is divided among a few. The manor was long held by the Malchardes, and belongs now to Sir John Patteson. The Cornish rebels, in the time of Edward VI., sustained a sanguinary defeat at Feniton Bridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £372.* Patron, G. B. Northcote, Esq., two turns, and B. Woolley, Esq., one turn. The church has an aisle with Norman arches, but seems to be mainly of the 14th century; consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with low western tower; contains an ancient screen, and a highly decorated ancient altar-tomb; and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Western Morning News
Exeter and Plymouth Gazette
North Devon Journal
Express and Echo
Civil Registration District: Honiton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Plymtree
Poor Law Union: Honiton
Feniton and the Railway: Including the Rise and Demise of Sidmouth Junction by Alan Powell