Exminster is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1613
Nonconformists include: Plymouth Brethren
- Shillingford St George
- Woodbury with Exton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EXMINSTER, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Devon. The village stands on a pleasant spot adjacent to the river Exe and the South Devon railway, 3½ mile SSE of Exeter; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Exeter, and a fair on the first Thursday of May. The parish includes the village, and is in the district of St. Thomas. Acres, 5,817; of which 370 are water. Real property, £9,093. Pop., 1,781. Houses, 231. The manor belonged to the Courtenays, Earls of Devon; and had formerly a very large manor-house, in which Archbishop Courtenay was born. The lords of the manor now are the Earl of Devon and Sir Lawrence Palk, Bart. The principal residences are Peamore and Kenbury; the seats of respectively the Kekewiches and the Stoweys. The Devon county lunatic asylum stands here on a plot of 50 acres; occupies an elevated position, on a declivity 140 feet above the surrounding level; was opened in 1846; and cost, inclusive of the land, £65,000. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, 300. Patrons, the Governors of Crediton Church Corporation Trust. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and S aisle, with western tower; and contains an ancient carved oak screen, and several handsome monuments. There is a Wesleyan chapel. An endowed school has £30; and other charities £43. The hundred contains seventeen parishes. Acres, 48,250. Pop. in 1851, 19,698: in 1861, 20,389. Houses, 3,995.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: St Thomas
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Kenn
Poor Law Union: St Thomas