Escot is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Devon, created 1844 from Ottery St Mary Ancient Parish and Talaton Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Ottery St Mary St Philip and St James
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1840
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
- Ottery St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ESCOT, a chapelry in Ottery-St. Mary and Talaton parishes, Devon; on the river Otter, and on the Yeovil and Exeter railway, adjacent to Ottery-Road r. station, 2 miles NNW of Ottery-St. Mary. It was constituted in 1844. Post town, Ottery-St. Mary, under Exeter-Pop., 534. Houses, 103. Escot House is the seat of Sir John Kennaway, Bart. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £75. Patron, Sir J. Kennaway, Bart. The church was built in 1840; is a neat edifice; and contains a handsome monument of the Kennaway family.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Honiton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Aylesbeare
Poor Law Union: Honiton
Hundred: Hayridge; Ottery St Mary