Ermington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon. Kingston is a chapelry of Ermington.
Alternative names: Ermington with Kingston
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1603
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Plympton St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ERMINGTON, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Devon. The village stands on a bold eminence, contiguous to the river Erme, 2 miles NW of Modbury, and 2¾ S of Ivy-bridge r. station; was formerly a place of some importance, with a weekly market; and has a post office under Ivy-Bridge, and fairs on 2 Feb. and 24 June. The parish also includes part of Ivy-bridge; and is in Plympton-St. Mary district. Acres, 4,952. Real property, £9,434. Pop. in 1851, 1,423; in 1861, 1,785. Houses, 348. The property is much subdivided. A charming lane runs from the village to Ivy-bridge; and a quondam hotel is at Erme-bridge. A meteoric stone, weighing 23 lbs., fell at Stratchleigh in 1623. A decrease of population occurred prior to 1851, from the closing of two woollen factories; and an increase thence till 1861 arose from the effect of railway communication. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Kingston, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £453. Patrons, the Crown, the Rev. W. J. Pinwill, and Mrs. Pinwill. A sinecure rectory is attached. Value, £463. Patron, Mr. Dimes. The church is later English; consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and transepts, with a leaning spire; and contains portions of an old screen and sedilia, and several old monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £35. The hundred contains eleven parishes. Acres, 50,388. Pop., 9,826. Houses, 2,019.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Plympton St Mary
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Plympton
Poor Law Union: Plympton St Mary