Eggesford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1594
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EGGESFORD, a parish in Crediton district, Devon; on the river Taw, and on the North Devon railway, 2½ miles S of Chnmleigh. It has a station on the railway. Post town, Chumleigh, North Devon. Acres, 2,500. Real property, £679. Pop., 126. Houses, 26. The property is divided among three. The manor belonged formerly to the Chichesters, and belongs now to the Earl of Portsmouth. The old seat of the lords of the manor was near the church, but has completely disappeared; and the present one is within the parish of Wembworthy. The scenery is magnificent. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Valne, £121. Patron, the Earl of Portsmouth. The church stands within the Earl of Portsmouth's park; is a small stone edifice, with a tower; and adjoining it is an ancient oratory, containing monuments of the Chichesters. The Eggesford foxhounds are kennelled at Brushford.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Crediton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Chumleigh
Poor Law Union: Crediton
Hundred: North Tawton with Winkleigh