East Portlemouth is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Holset and Rickham.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- South Pool
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PORTLEMOUTH (East), a village and a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon. The village stands on a hill at the E side of Salcombe haven, opposite Salcombe, and 4½ miles S by E of Kingsbridge r. station; is a scattered place; commands beautiful sea-views; has a post-office under Kingsbridge; and communicates with that town daily by passage and ferry boats. The parish contains also the hamlets of Rickham and Holset. Acres, 2,143; of which 170 are water. Real property, with Chivelstone and South Pool, £8,096. Pop., 403. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. An entrenchment is here, and is supposed to have been used in assaulting Salcombe Castle. A coast-guard station is at Rickham. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £324. Patron, alternately the Duke of Cleveland and Lord Sandwich. The church is later English, with a tower; and was recently in a dilapidated condition.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Kingsbridge
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Woodleigh
Poor Law Union: Kingsbridge