East Ogwell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1674
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian and Wesleyan Methodist.
- West Ogwell
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OGWELL (East), a parish, with a village, in Newton-Abbot district, Devon; on an affluent of the river Teign, 1½ mile S W of Newton-Abbot r. station. Post-town, Newton-Abbot. Acres, 1,249. Real property, £2,155; of which £12 are in quarries. Pop., 275. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The scenery is very fine, and draws many parties and ramblers, during summer, to admire its beauties; and the surface includes several lofty hills, commanding brilliant views. A quarry of fine madrepore is in the W hill. The living is a rectory, united with West Ogwell, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £307. Patron, P. G. Taylor, Esq. The church is old but good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains an old oak screen, and a large monument to the Reynell family. There is an endowed school with £10 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
Probate Court: Pre-1848 - Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter, Post-1847 - Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - Kenn, Post-1847 - Ipplepen
Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot