East Down is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Churchill.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DOWN (East), a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; round the head-streams of an affluent of the river Taw, 6½ miles NNE of Barnstaple town and r. station. Post town, Arlington, under Barnstaple. Acres, 3,643. Real property, £3,789. Pop., 418. Houses, 84. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward III., to the family of Downe; and passed to the Pines and the Coffins. Churchill estate belongs to the Chichesters. The southern part, around the church, is a pleasant valley; and the northern part rises into bold hills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £346. Patron,Chichester, Esq. The church is perpendicular English; consists of nave and aisle, with low square tower; and is good. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Barnstaple
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Shirwell
Poor Law Union: Barnstaple