Down St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Copplestone and Knowle.
Alternative names: St Mary Down
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1696
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist
- Morchard Bishop
- Zeal Monachorum
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DOWN-ST. MARY, a parish in Crediton district, Devon; on the river Taw and the North Devon railway, near Morchard-Road r. station, and 6 miles NW of Crediton. Post town, Morchard-Bishop, North Devon. Acres, 2,229. Real property, £2,339. Pop., 426. Houses, 90. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Henry Sturt, Esq. The living is a rectory in the dio. of Exeter. Value, £233. Patron, Rev. W. T. A. Radford. The church is partly Norman; and consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with a tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Crediton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Cadbury
Poor Law Union: Crediton
Hundred: North Tawton with Winkleigh