Dolton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1608
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DOLTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Torrington district, Devon. The village stands near the river Torridge, 6 miles NNE of Hatherleigh, and 7 W of Eggesford r. station; and has a head post office, of the name of Dolton, North Devon, and fairs on 18 March and 20 Nov. The parish comprises 3,553 acres. Real property, £3,391. Pop., 938. Houses, 189. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to T. Owen, Esq. Halsdon house is the seat of the Furse family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £405. Patron. the Rev. T. W. Whale. The church is old; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a square tower; and contains some fine old carved seats. There are chapels for Baptists, Brethren, and Bible Christians, and charities £6. The sub-district contains five parishes. Acres, 15,480. Pop., 3,181. Houses, 626.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Torrington
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Torrington
Poor Law Union: Torrington
Hundred: North Tawton with Winkleigh