Dittisham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Capton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1650
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1603
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Stoke Gabriel
- Churston Ferrers
- Stoke Fleming
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DITTISHAM, a village and a parish in Totnes district, Devon. The village stands on the river Dart, 3 miles NNW of Dartmouth town and r. station; is noted for fine scenery and for plums; and has a post office under Totnes. The parish includes also the hamlet of Capton. Acres, 3,438; of which 340 are water. Real property, with Stoke-Fleming, £10,009. Rated property of D. alone, £3,317. Pop., 762. Houses, 162. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the Conqueror's time, to Baldwin, Baron of Okehampton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £444. Patron, the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. The church is early perpendicular English; and was, not long ago, restored. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £44.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Totnes
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Totnes
Poor Law Union: Totnes