Diptford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Avonwick.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1596
- South Brent
- North Huish
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DIPTFORD, a parish in Totnes district, Devon; on the river Avon, 2¾ miles SE of Brent r. station, and 5½ WSW of Totnes. Post town, Brent, under Ivy-Bridge. Acres, 4,154. Real property, with North Huish, £8,226. Rated property of D. alone, £3,159. Pop., 659. Houses, 142. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Rev. W.Johnson. Diptford Court, Bradridge House, and Courtis Knowle are chief residences. The parish is a meet for the South Devon harriers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £532. Patron, the Rev. W. Johnson. The church is perpendicular English; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with tower and spire; and was recently repaired. There are a chapel for Plymouth Brethren, and charities £53.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Totnes
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Totnes
Poor Law Union: Totnes