Denbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Presbyterian
- East Ogwell
- West Ogwell
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DENBURY, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands near the South Devon railway, 3 miles SW of Newton-Abbot; has a post office under Newton-Abbot, and a fair on 20 Sept.; and was once a borough and a market-town. The parish comprises 1,068 acres. Real property, £1,980. Pop., 410. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the family of Taylor; and Denbury House, a Tudor mansion, is the seat of the Fronds. Denbury Down is crowned by an ancient elliptical camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £173. Patron, the Rev. J. H. Reibey. The church is very ancient, with low square tower; was recently renovated; and contains several tablets to the Taylors. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £24.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Ipplepen
Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot