Dartington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Brooking and North Ford.
Alternative names: Dartington with St Barnabas
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Christians, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- South Brent
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DARTINGTON, a parish in Totnes district, Devon; on the river Dart, near the South Devon railway, 2 miles N by W of Totnes. Post town, Totnes. Acres, 3,248. Real-property, £6,062. Pop., 626. Houses, 131. The property is subdivided. The manor was given by the Conqueror to William de Falaise; passed to the families of Martyn, Audley, Vere, Holland, and Courtenay; and has belonged, since the middle of the 16th century, to the Champernownes. Dartington House, the seat of the Champernownes, is a grand pile, 250 feet long; and includes part of the feudal mansion of the Dukes of Exeter. Venton House, the seat of the Moyseys, is a large ancient edifice. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £924. Patron, A. Champernowne, Esq. The church stands close to Dartington House; is a fine old structure, of nave, chancel, and aisles; and contains a carved oak screen, a carved oak pulpit, and some antique monuments of the Champernownes and others. A chapel of case, at the south-eastern extremity of the parish, is a neat modern Gothic edifice, with a spire.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Totnes
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Totnes
Poor Law Union: Totnes