Cullompton is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Higher Weaver and Upton Weaver.
Alternative names: Collumpton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1601
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Presbyterian Unitarian, Society of Friends/Quaker, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Clyst Hydon
- Broad Clyst
- Kentisbeare St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLLUMPTON, or Cullompton, a town, a parish, and a sub-district in Tiverton district, Devon. The town stands on the river Culme and on the Bristol and Exeter railway, in a fine valley, amid charming scenery, 12½ miles NE of Exeter; consists chiefly of two main streets; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling-place; and has a head post office, a railway station with telegraph, a banking office, three chief inns, a town-hall, a parish church, four dissenting chapels, and charities £223. The town hall is a recent erection; and includes a library, a reading room , and a lecture-room. The church is a noble pile, partly of the 15th century; consists of aisled nave, aisled chancel, and a side chapel, with imposing lofty western tower; and contains a gorgeous screen and rood-loft, with elaborate carvings. A weekly market is held on Saturday; and fairs on the first Wednesday of May and Nov. Woollen manufacture was formerly extensive but has declined; and industry is now carried on in tan-yards, paper-mills, corn-mills, and a church-bell foundry. Pop., 2,205. Houses, 520. The parish comprises 7,370 acres. Real property, £16,848. Pop., 3,185. Houses, 702. The property is subdivided. The manor was bequeathed by King Alfred to his son Ethelward; passed, in 1278, to Buckland abbey; and belongs now to W.Grant, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £400. Patron, Rev. J. Oldham. The sub-district contains four parishes. Acres, 12,077. Pop., 4,482. Houses, 946.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Tiverton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Plymtree
Poor Law Union: Tiverton