Countisbury is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Devon, created in 1747 from chapelry in Lynton Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Countesbury
Other places in the parish include: Lynmouth.
Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Parish church: St John the Evangelist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1676
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1601
Parishes adjacent to Countisbury
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COUNTISBURY, or Countesbury, a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; on the coast, at the boundary with Somerset, 15½ miles E by N of Ilfracombe, and 17½ NE of Barnstaple r. station. Post town, Lynton, under Barnstaple. Acres, 3,512; of which 285 are water. Real property, £2,268. Pop., 176. Houses, 38. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward the Confessor, to Ailmar, a Saxon; was given, at the Conquest, to William Chieire, a follower of the Conqueror; passed through various hands; and belongs now to the Hallidays of Glenthorne. The land rises steeply from the sea; attains a height of 1,146 feet, at Barney-barrow, in the vicinity of the church; and is elsewhere hilly. Many remains of Roman camps are seen; and a great number of Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church consists of nave and chancel, with a belfry; and was rebuilt within the present cent.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Countisbury 1676-1757 - UK Genealogy Archives
Civil Registration District: Barnstaple
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple
Rural Deanery: Shirwell
Poor Law Union: Barnstaple