Cornworthy is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Tuckenhay, Allaleigh, and East Cornworthy.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1562
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Protestant Dissenters, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Stoke Gabriel
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CORNWORTHY, a parish in Totnes district, Devon; on the river Dart, 4 miles SSE of Totnes r. station. It contains the hamlets of Allaleigh and East Cornworthy; and its post town is Totnes. Acres, 2,721; of which 240 are water. Real property, with Ashprington, £7,768. Pop., 479. Houses, 104. The property is much sub-divided. An Augustinian nunnery was founded, on the farm of Court-Prior, by the ancestors of the Edgcombes; and some remains of it exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £210. Patrons, the Trustees of the late Rev. W. K. Sweetland. The church is a fine ancient edifice, with a square tower; and has an ancient carved oak screen, and a very fine monument of Sir T. Harris, of the year 1610. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £46.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Totnes
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
Rural Deanery: Totnes
Poor Law Union: Totnes