Colebrooke is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Copplestone and Coleford.
Alternative names: Colebrook
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
Nonconformists include: Plymouth Brethren
- Down St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLEBROOKE, a parish in Crediton district, Devon; on the North Devon railway, 2 miles SSE of Copplestone r. station, and 4 W by N of Crediton. It includes the villages of Copplestone and Coleford, and the post office of Copplestone, North Devon. Acres, 4,989. Real property, £5,471. Pop., 802. Houses, 182. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to A. Coryton, Esq. Coombe House is the seat of the family of Lillifant; and Paschoe House, a handsome new Tudor mansion, is the seat of the family of Hughs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £200. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is partly early English, partly perpendicular; and consists of nave, chancel, transept, and aisle. There were formerly five chapelries; and a beautiful archway gate of the one at Whelmstone still stands. Charities, £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Civil Registration District: Crediton
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - None, Post-1847 - Cadbury
Poor Law Union: Crediton