Clyst St George is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Alternative names: Clist St George, Clyst Wick, St George Clist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1754
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1615
- Woodbury with Exton
- Clyst St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLIST-ST. GEORGE, a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon; on the river Clist, 2 miles E by N of Topsham r. station, and 4 SE of Exeter. Post town, Topsham, under Exeter. Acres, 1,066; of which 25 are water. Real property, £2,444. Pop., 300. Houses, 60. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Champernownes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £327. Patrons, Trustees. The church is partly Norman; consists of nave, chancel, and north aisle, with western tower; has a sedilia, a piscina, and stained glass windows; and was restored in 1860. A school, founded in 1705 by Lady Seaward, has £40 from endowment, with an exhibition at Oxford or Cambridge.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: St Thomas
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter
Rural Deanery: Aylesbeare
Poor Law Union: St Thomas
Hundred: East Budleigh